Thursday 10 September 2015

IDENTIFY THE IMPORTANT FACTS

Have you ever been in a situation where someone is speaking to you and you are not really focusing on what they are saying,  and in midsentence they stop and look at you and ask you “Do you understand what I am saying?” BUSTED. In order to avoid being in this awkward situation, I would like to share with you yet another key in building powerful listening skills. It is really all about identifying the important facts.  Mr. Janitor had important information for me, and I wish I had listened to him and so does my backside. Had I engaged in a conversation with him, I would have focused on what he was saying regardless if he made small talk with me.  I would have picked out the crucial points in the conversation and mentally prioritized what message he was trying to portray.  If we remember our roles as a listener, we are actively involved not only with our eye contact and use of body language and tone, but also with how focused we are on identifying important facts. 
 
Do you think this technique will help you build stronger listening skills? Comment below and let me know. 




Check it out and let me know what you think:
 



Interesting YouTube video by Julian Treasure on TED Talks TV about 5 techniques to focus your listening skills:   



No comments:

Post a Comment